Added: Tonimarie Hassel - Date: 07.01.2022 16:50 - Views: 45403 - Clicks: 1597
It is bounded on the north-east by the parish of Scoonie and the south-west by the parish of Kirkcaldy and Dysart and its length from south-west to north-east is about 6 miles. The name of the parish is from the Scottish Gaelic Uaimheis meaning 'Cave Place', from uaimh'cave', and esan obsolete Gaelic suffex meaning 'place of'.
Nearly a dozen towns and villages have existed in Wemyss parish over the years, some now ed to form larger settlements:  . The parish contains the towns of Methil and Buckhaven in the north, formerly constituting the burgh of Buckhaven and Methil. In the south are the villages of East Wemyss and West Wemyssbetween which is sited Wemyss Castleancient seat of the Earls of Wemyss and their family.
The district is of much archaeological and historic interest. On the shore Wemyss fife scotland the north-east are two square towers which are supposed to have formed part of Macduff's Castleand near them are the caves weemsfrom the Gaelic, uamha from which the district derives its name. Several of them contain archaic sculptures, of uncertain origin. Coal mining was once the principal industry of the district, the coal being exported from the port of Methil.
Its harbour was constructed by David, 2nd earl of Wemyssand the town was a burgh of barony in A Parochial Board was established in which was superseded by a Parish Council in Historically the parish church was located in East Wemyss, which was the kirk town of the parish,  but with the great growth of population in the 19th century as a result of the coal industryadditional ecclesiastical-only parishes were erected, beginning with Methil and Wemyss fife scotland Wemyss.
Also churches were built for the non-established denominations.
Mary's by the Sea, in East Wemyss and there has been a church on this site since Wemyss fife scotland 12th century. Originally rectangular in plan, the church seems to have been virtually rebuilt inwith further rework in and After the Reformation, the chancel became the Wemyss Aisle. The church closed in with the congregation being united with St. George's, East Wemyss itself united with St Adrian's in West Wemyss in and the church was converted to a house in George's was then closed. The civil parish has a population of 18, Wemyss fife scotland  and its area is acres.
IX Fife-Kinross. Fife Place-name Data. Retrieved 3 July Fife Family History Society. Retrieved 25 July John Worrall. Cambridge University Press. Article on Wemyss, subsection on Buckhaven and Methil, p. Article on Wemyss. Places are presented alphabetically.
: Parishes in Fife. Namespaces Article Talk. Views Read Edit View history.
Help Learn to edit Community portal Recent changes file. Download as PDF Printable version. Wikimedia Commons. Euskara Edit links.Wemyss fife scotland
email: [email protected] - phone:(819) 231-1235 x 5992